Being a vintage beauty lover (and I know you are honey!), you’re probably familiar with cold cream. But what exactly does cold cream do and why is it so awesome? How do you use it? Should you be using cold cream? What vintage brands are cult classics? Which modern-day cold creams are a must try?
What is cold cream?
Cold cream is an oil-based cleanser/ moisturizer. Think face cream meets massage oil.
Why is is so awesome?
- It dissolves makeup in a jiffy ~ The oil encapsulates oil-based makeup lifting up, off the skin so that it easily wipes away.
- Leaves skin moisturized ~ Because it leaves a thin film of oil on your skin, there’s (usually) no need to follow up with a separate moisturizer.
- Protects skin ~ Again, because it leaves a thin film behind, cold cream acts like a buffer to skin with a compromised barrier because of rosacea, chemical peels or the use of retinols.
- It’s versatile ~ It’s a facial cleanser, eye makeup remover, moisturizing mask and heavy cream all in one!
- It’s oh so retro! ~ Need I explain?
How do you use it?
Apply generously to dry skin, let it sit for a minute or two, then wipe off with tissue or warm, moist clothes. These disposable esthetic wipes are my favorite to use in facials, however these reusable compressed facial sponges are perfect for moist removal of cold cream.
Should you be using it?
Yes! Almost every skin type will love cold cream!
Aha! You said “almost every skin type”!
Persons with active pustular or cystic acne may not benefit from using cold cream as much. However, many times acne treatments involve heavy exfoliation that may leave your skim feel raw, so a cold cream mask will help relieve that uncomfortable feeling.
The jury is still out on whether mineral oil clogs pores. In my opinion it greatly depends on the level of refinement of the oil (impurities in mineral oil can cause clogged pores) and your individual skin reaction. If you have a tendency for clogged pores and/or an aversion to mineral oil, there are plenty of plant based cold creams that may suite you better. See below
The Cult Classics:
Nivea Creme ~ Only the original in the blue tin imported from Germany
Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream ~ My Grandma’s favorite!
Bigelow Rose Wonder Cold Cream
Guinot Hydra Tendre Soft Wash-Off Cleansing Cream
Ready to try some nostalgic cleansing love with cold cream or cleansing oil? Or perhaps your already a believer in using cold cream. Tell me why you love it in the comments below!