Cold Cream: Modern & Cult Classics

Being a vintage beauty lover (and I know you are honey!), you’re probably familiar with cold cream. But what exactly does cold cream do and why is it so awesome?  How do you use it? Should you be using cold cream? What vintage brands are cult classics? Which modern-day cold creams are a must try?

What is cold cream?

Cold cream is an oil-based cleanser/ moisturizer. Think face cream meets massage oil.

Why is is so awesome?

• It dissolves makeup in a jiffy ~ The oil encapsulates oil-based makeup lifting up, off the skin so that it easily wipes away.
  • Leaves skin moisturized ~ Because it leaves a thin film of oil on your skin, there’s (usually)  no need to follow up with a separate moisturizer.
  • Protects skin ~ Again, because it leaves a thin film behind, cold cream acts like a buffer to skin with a compromised barrier because of  rosacea, chemical peels or the use of retinols.
  • It’s versatile ~ It’s a facial cleanser, eye makeup remover, moisturizing mask and heavy cream all in one!
  • It’s oh so retro! ~ Need I explain?

How do you use it?

Apply generously to dry skin, let it sit for a minute or two, then wipe off with tissue or warm, moist clothes. These disposable esthetic wipes are my favorite to use in facials, however these reusable compressed facial sponges are perfect for moist removal of cold cream.

Should you be using it?

Yes! Almost every skin type will love cold cream!

Aha! You said “almost every skin type”!

Persons with active pustular or cystic acne may not benefit from using cold cream as much. However, many times acne treatments involve heavy exfoliation that may leave your skim feel raw, so a cold cream mask will help relieve that uncomfortable feeling.

The jury is still out on whether mineral oil clogs pores. In my opinion it greatly depends on the level of refinement of the oil (impurities in mineral oil can cause clogged pores) and your individual skin reaction. If you have a tendency for clogged pores and/or an aversion to mineral oil, there are plenty of plant based cold creams that may suite you better.  See below

The Cult Classics:

Nivea Creme ~ Only the original in the blue tin imported from Germany

Boots Original Beauty Formula Cold Cream

Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream ~ My Grandma’s favorite!

Pond’s Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

Bigelow Rose Wonder Cold Cream

The Modern-Must-Try:

Burt’s Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Crème

Guinot Hydra Tendre Soft Wash-Off Cleansing Cream

Trilogy Cream Cleanser

L’Occitane Almond Apple Cleansing Oil

Cataphracts’s Handmade Cold Cream

Ready to try some nostalgic cleansing love with cold cream or cleansing oil?  Or  perhaps your already a believer in using cold cream. Tell me why you love it in the comments below!

• Meet the Author ➞ Lydia Hernandez

Writer, dreamer, helper, joker, coffee drinker and mother to future leaders.

20 comments… add one

• I used to use Jergens way back in high school. It’s awesome to remove makeup and my skin felt so soft. I’ll probably go back to using that after I use up my Mary Kay stash.

• Ah, la crema de tres caras. Boy that smell takes me WAY back to when my Abuelita used it. She’s getting older and doesn’t really take care of her skin as she used to, but what she did in her younger days was enough! She’s 87 yrs old with the skin of a 60 yr old. Not bad!

• I use Ponds Cold Cream with a hot cloth to remove it. It’s really made a massive difference to my skin.

• I prefer removing it with warm water as well. Makes me feel more like I’m clean.

• Thanks so much for the mention! :)

I love your article! I really love using cold cream as it’s done wonders for my skin after having disaster after disaster with regular cleansers and soaps of all kinds. It’s much, much gentler and my skin is much happier for it! I normally have dry skin in the winter and oily skin all summer and using cold cream has really evened it out for me.

I just wanted to also let you know that in addition to my own, there are a few other sellers out there that offer cold cream made without mineral oil for anyone that is worried about it causing problems with their complexion. I use almond oil instead, which is said to help improve complexion and is much easier to absorb into the skin.

Catherine

• Hey Catherine (feel like I wanna call you Cat *wink*), thanks for heads up on more awesome handcrafters on etsy. And congrats on your fab review on youtube!

• Thanks so much for the mention! :)

Catherine

• I think I would really like to try the handmade cold cream since I think it is natural. I usually go for natural products and mineral makeup when I put it on my skin. I tend to be really careful with my skin.

• I have used Ponds forever… The Ponds shown above is the heavy moisturizing cream. They have a separate “cold cream” in an aqua cap. ;-) I use both

• Woopsie! That one slipped by me! Thanks for pointing it out to me. I’ve corrected the link now. Cheers!

• Love, love, love Jergens Face Cream! It’s wonderful for removing makeup! After I wipe it off with inexpensive baby wipes, I drape a hot washcloth on my face for 30 seconds or so, then wipe again, removing the rest of the cream and gently exfoliating my very sensitive, rosacea skin. I use Mario Badescu Seaweed Toner, then follow up with Mario Badescu Control Cream and a final dab of Jergens for the night. My skin is so much less red and flaky and irritated. Best retro beauty product out there!

• you forgot to add AVON’S cold cream!! :)

Don’t Be Shy » Leave a Comment!

CommentLuv badge