Normally I wear mineral foundation, but when my custom blended color ran out, I gave liquid foundation another go. So since I’m sort of new again to liquid foundation and feeling a bit rusty, I looked into which application methods makeup artists prefer.
Here’s what I found:
Applying with fingers
- Pros – Warms up in fingers so that it can melt easily into skin, free, easy to clean, results look very natural.
- Cons – Can leave streaks and may tug your skin.
- Makeup artist that prefers this method – Francois Nars
Applying with sponge
- Pros – Creates a natural sheer coverage when used damp, does not tug at your skin, inexpensive.
- Cons – Notorious for harboring bacteria, can cause an allergic reaction if it contains latex, soaks up a lot of product.
- Makeup artist that prefers this method – Carmindy
Applying with foundation brush
- Pros – Glides easily across skin, blends make-up easily, can get into corners of nose.
- Cons – Can be expensive, needs to be cleaned frequently.
- Makeup artist that prefers this method – Trish McEvoy
So which way is the correct way? Well, all of them I guess! It seems that professionals like to mix things up (although Mr. Nars prefers only to use his fingers). Usually they will start by applying the foundation with their fingers and blend with a damp sponge or brush.
As for me, I liked the look from just my fingers for everyday, but for going somewhere special I prefer the more polished look of using my fingers followed by a foundation brush.
How about you? What method or methods do you use?